Saturday 25 October 2008

Year 7 - learning the hard way

At the end of week 2 I am exhausted, principally due to my battles with year 7. The school has a fortnightly timetable and in week one year 7 only have English twice, only once of which I had to teach them. However, last week I had them four times, and somehow, things didn't go as planned and went from not so good to really not so good!

I think it all started when they were really noisy and unsettled at the beginning of the week, and then the next lesson I decided to wait and start putting up times on the board, so we ended up having 60 minutes of built up detention. Then I started reacting to some of the students and my boundaries got all fuzzy in the wash until by Friday morning they had all the power and were playing me for everything I was worth. After class I was walking through the foyer and a number of students commented on how stressed I looked! I spent a lot of time that day thinking about all the things I had not done so well, how much I can choose to have learnt this week, and the ways I can use this experience to make me into a better teacher and person.

No comments: