Tuesday 14 October 2008

Tuesday - First lesson

I had year eight straight after lunch; lined them up outside the room and tried to make two lines with them, but its something they're not used to and as it was the first time I had taught in quite a while I probably tried to wing it more than I should of.

We were starting visual literacy, and as on Tuesdays they normally do creative writing I had them write about a picure I had found on Time's Pictures of the Week. We talked a little about composition and what the students thought was going on in the photos, but I probably could have gotten into it deeper.

First lessons are always hard though because you don't know what you're walking into and have to start from scratch picking up class dynamics and the personalities of different students.

The lesson could have been a lot cleaner, but it also could have been much much messier. I didn't do anything to shoot myself in the foot and I think I started to build up a good rapport with the class. There are some characters in there who seem resentful of doing work, but also a lot of smart kids who don't seem to be challenged enough. It's good to have my first lesson done and dusted and I'm feeling a lot more confident about the next few weeks.

No comments: